Despite your best efforts, your tooth may become damaged or discolored. Because of an injury, your tooth may become chipped, cracked, or broken. Perhaps you have decay or a large dental filling that has severely weakened your tooth. Sometimes, a tooth is misshapen or yellowed. If any of these are true about your tooth, consider a dental crown. A dental crown can restore your smile.
A dental crown is a dental restoration that is shaped like a tooth. Your dentist will place it over your tooth. Dental crowns are used by dentists to restore teeth. Dental crowns can restore or fix the shape, size, strength, or appearance of your tooth. Your dental crown can save your tooth by doing one or more of the following:
• Protect your tooth from breaking if it is weak
• Restore your tooth if it is broken or worn down
• Cover, protect, and support your tooth if it has a large dental filling
• Cover a tooth that is misshapen or stained
• Improve the appearance of a tooth
Your dental crown may be constructed of metal, porcelain fused to metal, porcelain, or ceramic. Ask your dentist which type of dental crown is best for you.