Dental Crowns are considered to be a solution in order to restore the function and look of a damaged tooth. It can be defined as a cap which is to be fitted on your tooth. Now whenever your dentist prescribes you to get dental crowns, there are a few questions which might hit your mind. Keeping all such things under consideration, we have provided detailed information regarding types and cost of dental crowns in this blog. You are recommended to go through to draw an end to any confusion related to the topic.
Firstly, let us discuss the various factors which play a vital role when it comes to selection of dental crowns.
You should be going for an option which fulfills all your requirements. The needs of patients vary from one person to another. Therefore, consulting a dentist for expert advice is a must.
Some of the probable causes of getting a dental crows are also being mentioned in the pointers below.
- To cover a tooth implant
- When you have a broken or damaged tooth
- If you are suffering from severe tooth decay or cavities
- In case you need to align your bite
- If you have undergone a root canal therapy
- In order to achieve an aesthetic smile
Types of Dental Crowns
As mentioned in before, there are several types of crowns from which you can choose to meet your requirements. The different types are:
- Metals - One of the most common types of dental crowns which is used even in today’s time are the ones made up of metal. You will be surprised to know that different types of metals such as gold, palladium, chromium and nickel are used to make crowns. The benefits of this type of crowns are - high resistance, durability, and requires less portion of your teeth to be removed to get them fitted, apt for posterior restoration. As we know that everything comes with pros and cons and metal crowns are no exception. The drawbacks include poor aesthetics and lack of naturality. Fitting metal crowns can also cause swelling or certain allergic reactions.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal - This another widely used type of dental crowns. It is to be noted that fusing porcelain to the metal increases the aesthetic value and makes them look pretty much similar to that of natural teeth. The advantages of choosing porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are - better aesthetically, durable in nature and are cheap if compared with all porcelain crowns. The disadvantages are - fitting such crowns may cause a grey line at the gumline.This type of crowns also wear out more easily when used by people who clench their teeth.
- All-porcelain - This is comparatively the closest looking to natural teeth when talked about dental crowns. As the name suggests they are entirely made of porcelain. The benefits of this type of dental crowns are - has an aesthetic look, considered best for frontier teeth restorations, biocompatible which means that they are not toxic in nature. The only disadvantages are - they are not very strong and are expensive if compared with the other options.
- All resin - Another common type of dental crowns which is used in modern dentistry is the all-resin one. It is cheap but is also less durable than the other kinds of dental crowns.
- Pressed ceramic - This type of dental crowns have a hard inner core. They replace the
metal liner that’s used in the all-ceramic crown-making process. Pressed ceramic crowns are generally capped with porcelain giving them a natural look.
Cost of Dental Crowns
After discussing the various types of dental crowns which can be bought by you, let us talk about their cost.
- The metal crowns can range between $600 to $2500
- The all porcelain crowns can range between $800-$3000
- Whereas the porcelain fused to the metal crowns can cost you somewhere between $500-$1500
- All-resin crowns costs somewhere around $300
You are now aware of the different types of dental crowns available in the market and their cost. Consult with your dentist and pick up the one which suits your needs. If you are looking for a dental clinic in or around W. Elliot Road, Suit 101, Gilbert, AZ, get in touch with Island Dental. We offer excellent dental services at an economical price.