Periodontitis is a grave dental disorder. It is a condition in which the soft tissues and the bone supporting the teeth gets destroyed. Periodontitis can have severe impacts on your oral health if you do not visit a dentist immediately. Loosening of teeth or permanent tooth loss are some common outcomes of Periodontal disease. But the good news is, Periodontal disease is largely preventable.
According to the American Dental Association, Periodontal disease is primarily caused due to poor oral hygiene. Brushing twice daily, flossing every day, and going for periodic dental checkups can reduce the chances of Periodontitis
considerably. In this blog, we shall discuss the major causes and symptoms of the Periodontal disease.
Causes of Periodontal Disease
In most of the cases, Periodontitis is the effect of the formation of Plaque - a sticky film comprising bacteria. Here is how plaque leads to Periodontitis -
- Plaque Formation On the Surface Of The Teeth - When starch and sugar present in your food mix with bacteria present in the mouth, it leads to the formation of plaque on the surface of the teeth. The longer the plaque and tartar remain on your teeth, the more damage ti will do to your teeth. Daily brushing and flossing can help, but you will not get rid of tartar. A professional dental cleaning is what you need in such a situation.
- Plaque Hardening Your Gumline Into Tartar - If plaque remains under your gumline for a prolonged time interval, then it gradually gets converted into tartar. The longer tartar remains on your tooth, the greater are the chances of your teeth to get damaged. Visit an experienced dentist as soon as possible for a professional dental cleaning.
- Ongoing Gum Inflammation - Periodontitis is a common outcome of gum inflammation. According to the dentists, gum inflammation leads to the formation of pockets between the gums and the teeth. With time, these pockets become deeper and get filled with plaque and disease-causing bacteria. If not treated on time, these infections can cause massive damage to the tissue and bone. You can even lose multiple teeth. Additionally, your immune system can also get affected.
Signs and Symptoms Of Periodontal Disease
Healthy gums are firm and look pale pink in color. Some major signs and symptoms of the Periodontal disease include -
- Swollen gums.
- Bright red, dusky red, or purple gums.
- Tender Gums.
- Gums that are susceptible to bleeding.
- Receding gums that make teeth look longer.
- Spaces developing between your teeth.
- Formation of pus between teeth and gums.
- Foul breath.
- Loose teeth.
Therefore, if you are suffering from any one of the above-mentioned symptoms for a prolonged duration, then you should immediately get in touch with an experienced dentist. This is when we, at Island Dental, can help you out! Under the guidance of Dr Naman B. Patel
, we have achieved phenomenal success in treating patients requiring periodontal dental care.
Our periodontal treatment cost is what sets us apart from our competitors. It is affordable and fits very well into the budget of our patients. Get in touch with us as soon as possible if you think you are a victim of Periodontitis and need gum disease treatment. Our dentist in Gilbert
, Dr Naman B. Patel will assist you in every possible means.